Thursday, December 18, 2014

The White Columns Historic Home





We are having some mild but dull weather
here lately so I haven't taken any photos of
     our home yet but I wanted to share the photos I
   took at the White Columns in Kennebunkport
last week.
We had a guided tour where we got the history of
the home and shipbuilding family that lived here.
We were also told that the ladies spent a few weeks
decorating the house for Christmas ~ love those trees!

                                              This rug  went wall to wall and was unstitched and
                                              cleaned twice a year and then hand stitched back
                                              together twice a year....that would not be a job I would
                                              look forward to!
                                     The bed , dresser and nightstand were one of the first matching sets made.
                                     The crazy quilt is beautiful too.

                                                 This was the children's room originally.

                                                   This bedroom was the last one to be used
                                                   before the home was donated to the historical
                                                   society.

                                            The wallpaper is also original and was hand stamped
                                            and cut.

                                                I apologize for the quality of my pics but no flash was
                                                used on a dull day with no time to waste.

                                                                  The dining room.


                                         We really enjoyed the tour and hope you enjoyed
                                                    a quick peak as well at this beautiful Greek Revival
                                                    home built in 1853.

You might notice the tea table set up on the porch
that I shared earlier this week .
Thank you for your visit!

Carolyn


17 comments:

Heaven's Walk said...

What an amazing home, Carolyn. I can just imagine walking through those rooms picturing women in big skirts sweeping through the hallways with Christmas decor in their hands. :) Loved this tour! And I love Kennebunkport. Amazing town!

xoxo laurie

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

Gorgeous home and Christmas decor.

Anonymous said...

HI Carolyn! Oh, this is a beautiful place and the Christmas decorating is beautiful! We love Kennebunkport!
Merry Christmas and be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

The Victorian Girl said...

There's nothing more fun than touring a historic home, especially when it's decorated for Christmas.

angie said...

they have beautifully decorated !!!
beautiful, christmas wishes angie from Germany

Sandi said...

Ah...bliss!

Alicja said...

Pięknie. Pozdrawiam.

Debby said...

Oh,my!! Just a dreamy house....

carrie@northwoods scrapbook said...

So beautiful - and how the history is preserved through things like the original wallpaper. All of the trees are so pretty and the headboard in that one bedroom.....WOW!

So fun - thanks for sharing Carolyn!

Gina @ VictorianWannaBe said...

Totally gorgeous!! Love all the walnut Victorian furniture! Have a Merry Christmas!
Gina

Susan said...

Oh my GOSH, Carolyn. I LOVED that tour. Loved it. So happy you got to go. Susan

Betsy said...

Grande home and the tree decorated in purple is my favorite. I want to decorate mine in purple next year after seeing how beautiful this one looks.
It looks like the dining room also doubles as a library? Fine room. Thank you for sharing your tour.
Betsy

Pamela Gordon said...

This is a gorgeous home to see. Some of the furnishings remind me of my grandmother's home in Moncton, now long gone. Thanks for sharing the tour.

Kukkaiselämää said...

Wow! Stunning! Happy holidays!

Sarah said...

Thanks for taking us along, Carolyn. Beautiful home decorated for the holidays.
Happy Holidays to you and your family.

quiltsathome said...

Wow, this looks so beautiful !thank you for sharing these photographs.

Unknown said...

Dear Carolyn,

I am so flattered that you liked what you saw at the White Columns Museum My name is Nancy Rodrigues and my decorating business is NCR Interiors. I live in Kennebunk have been decorating the museum for the last two years. You can find me on Pinterest under Nancy Rodrigues NCR Interiors. Please continue to share my work and again, I am happy you enjoyed my decorating and the tour. I would love to hear from you.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,
Nancy