Friday, April 24, 2009

Fanningbank Gardens

Today I am sharing the gardens at Fanningbank,the home of the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island. These are some photos I took last August when we went for a tour of the garden which is open to the public. There is a large formal garden ,a rose garden, veggie garden,and an informal garden around the edge of the property which has a lot of large trees and a view of the harbour.

I am pleased to have been asked to sit on the board for the gardens(although I normally dislike meetings). I think it will be a learning experience for me and later I will be helping to pick the annuals for the annual beds in the centre of the garden. The garden has 4 or 5 full time gardener's on staff so we don't do the planting and maintenance just the planning. I would love to have these gardener's in our garden for a few weeks!!

This reminds me that a few people have asked if we do the gardening ourselves in our own garden or if we have gardeners and the answer is that Andrew and I do all the gardening ourselves and enjoy it(mostly)!

Also, I want to clarify that the garden photos that I shared yesterday as I mentioned were last summer's photos as we live in a zone 5b and our crocus,snowdrops are the only things blooming yet. So the garden is far from photogenic at this point but we are busy doing spring clean up and a few projects and the best is yet to come!
Also,thank you Mary for the award but I am not able to get into your cottage blog for some reason to accept it. If you read this maybe you could email me your blog address and Thanks again. Also ,thank you to everyone who takes the time to read my blog,leave a comment or follows it.I know I am not very good at getting to everyone but I am slow at this computer stuff and time is short so I want to say thank you again.
For the next couple of weeks we are really busy here so I will only post occasionally but when the garden starts blooming I will have lots of pictures to share.
Have a great weekend!
Carolyn

12 comments:

The Pink Birdhouse said...

Carolyn, both your photos and the governor's garden are stunning. Oh my, can you imagine looking out your window each morning on that! There would never be any reason to not smile.

As for your own garden, I kinda thought that you and your husband did all your own gardening, because of the loving way that you talk about it, and the pride you convey in it. No one who had it done by professionals could love it so much!! What an accomplishment you have made there, adding bit by bit each year. I can not even imagine the hours of physical work that are behind it all. You amaze me - having raised a large family, taking care of a big house and making that house look absolutely delightful and so inviting, and making a magical garden. How do you do it!!

with as many followers as you have, it is a no wonder that you can not get around to answering all comments. We all understand, and suffice it to say, that we enjoy coming by for a visit so that we can have a little peek into your life there in PEI, and no one is put out when we don't recieve a reply. (at least I am not!!) :-) Take care, and I wish you and your family a wonderful weekend. Debby

Dirt Princess said...

Congrats on you new adventure. Being a part of any kind of gardening is always exciting for me. Never know what you will learn.

Joanne said...

I enjoyed the photos.

I also smiled at your lack of garden help. I have only been reading your blog a short time and although I am amazed by the presentation of your garden it had occurred to me that you seemed to have a way of presenting that suggested to me it was all done by your and your family's fair hands.

How right I was then.

An old neighbour of ours moved to a Manor House with the most amazing garden. One of my garden friends said was I not envious and my response was that I preferred a smaller plot that I could deal with and would not enjoy such a vast garden that would need a of gardeners to look after it.

Linda said...

Hi Carolyn, Thats for stopping by my blog, I love all your pictures of gardens and landscaping. I know that once the flowers start popping I will be out there more often. I have just spent 5 hours on my front beds. That should count for some actvity points for my weight loss. Linda Have a great weekend.

June said...

This is an inspiration. Such a lovely place to see. Thanks for bringing it to us.
June

Lori said...

Carolyn, Please,please tell do you use any commericail plant food? Lori

Carolyn said...

Hi Lori,
No, I don't use any commerial food on our garden. We do use a lot of mushroom compost though to improve the soil. I also use alfalfa pellets and epsom salts and banana peels around the rosebushes.We grow our garden organicly. Compost makes a hugh difference.
Carolyn

C. C. said...

Thank you for sharing your pictures. As much as I love to garden, I have so much going on with homeschool, sewing, etc. that I kill most everything with neglect. Maybe someday....

C. C.

Room Service ~ Decorating 101 said...

consider yourself tagged... one picture, all you!

Becky said...

That is one lucky Lt Govenor. Ah to have you as a designer. Although you say you make mistakes I would just love any mistake that you would make in my flower beds.
You and your husband have a gifted eye. I can't wait to see the blooms begin at your home.
Becky

Becky said...

I just read your reply to a garden question. Could you tell me your formula for the roses.
I just planted 2 roses and I need them to be blooming for a May wedding. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Becky

Roses at Wedgwood House and Gardens said...

Hi Carolyn thanks for sharing these beautiful gardens with us. I think that will be a wonderful experience for you sitting on their board.

This weekend I spent two days at Butchart Gardens in Victoria. I was soo happy with my pictures that they will be my next blog entry, (instead of my own Spring garden which I was going to do). Butchart has left me so humbled. My Spring garden feels like nothing now! :) The gardens of Fanningbank are really beautiful too. Thanks again.
Pauline